Claudia Springer heads up the Novo Advisors Philadelphia office, as well as its new Mediation practice. Claudia is a seasoned restructuring and bankruptcy attorney, having practiced in that area for over 40 years. During her legal career, most of which was spent at Reed Smith LLP, and prior to that Duane Morris, she represented all major constituents in restructuring and bankruptcy cases including debtors, major creditors, shareholders, boards of directors, creditors’ committees, landlords, buyers, plan sponsors, bondholders, guarantors and others.
Her practice included litigating and mediating many different types of disputes among various parties, including ones involving classes of creditors, debtors and creditors, shareholders, insurers and insureds. Her experience also involved negotiating and participating in mediations of various types of disputes, including those regarding the exercise of remedies, contracts, leases, product recalls and liability, and labor and employment. She also litigated numerous disputes in bankruptcy court.
Claudia’s practice involved many different industries, and she is knowledgeable regarding hospitals, medical practices, long term care facilities, pharmaceutical companies, heavy manufacturing industries, steel producers, construction companies, chemical companies, hotels, restaurant chains, large retailers, and more. Recently, she acted in a mediation capacity for a large and insolvent estate that involved numerous creditors and businesses including over 20 banks.
Claudia has been lauded as one of America’s leading insolvency and corporate restructuring attorneys by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers every year since its initial publication in 2003. She was one of the youngest inductees in the American College of Bankruptcy, served on its Board for two terms and currently heads up a committee. In addition, Ms. Springer has been recognized as one of the nation’s top restructuring and bankruptcy lawyers by America’s Best Lawyers and
America’s Best Business Lawyers and is a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer.
George Washington University Law School, 1980, J.D.
Trinity College, 1977, B.A., high honors, Phi Beta Kappa
District of Columbia
Representative Mediation Cases:
Claudia Springer specializes in the mediation of multi-party commercial disputes.
For the past three years, Claudia has acted in a mediation capacity for a large and insolvent estate involving hundreds of millions of dollars of assets and liabilities, including a variety of businesses and real estate interests. Creditors include over 25 banks — many of which were bringing lawsuits against the estate prior to Claudia’s involvement. She partnered with the estate attorneys, worked with the executor to bring about an orderly liquidation of the estate, and is in the process of resolving inter-creditor issues and claims.
Claudia mediated a business dispute between two sets of shareholders of a large real estate enterprise who were in litigation regarding, among other things, control of the enterprise.
Honors and Awards:
- Received the Best Lawyers® 2015 Litigation – Bankruptcy “Lawyer of the Year” award in Philadelphia
- Selected through peer review for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law and Litigation – Bankruptcy, 2006-2021
- Selected for inclusion in the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers list for Bankruptcy: Business, 2004-2020
- Ranked in Chambers USA for Philadelphia & Surrounds Bankruptcy/Restructuring, 2003-2021, Band 1
- Inducted into the American College of Bankruptcy in 2002; became a member of its Board of Directors in 2013 and served for maximum number of terms; head of Distinguished Students Committee
- Selected for inclusion in the Lawdragon 500 Leading U.S. Bankruptcy & Restructuring Lawyers: Bankruptcy, 2020
Professional and Community Affiliations:
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- American College of Bankruptcy (since 2002);
member of Board of Directors (since 2013)
- Commercial Law League of America (since 2021)
- Compass Pro Bono (since 2020) — An organization serving non-profits by providing business professionals to assist with financial and strategic initiatives in an effort to transform communities; Claudia serves as a member of Compass teams.
- Fellow of the American Bar Association (since 2005)
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Corporation,
Banking and Business Law Section, Bankruptcy Committee
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Business Law Section,
Former Chair of the Uniform Commercial Code Subcommittee
- Turnaround Management Association, Board Member of
- National Liberty Museum Board member (since 2010)